CTC’s youth program provides resources and empowering opportunities for the youth of Maai Mahiu to explore and nurture their talents. While the activities offered vary depending on the season and the year, past offerings include soccer teams, a dance team, art classes, entrepreneurship training, health workshops, talent shows, and computer classes.
Youth make up 50% of the population of Maai Mahiu, and the national unemployment rate for youth is 64%. With pastoralists and IDP (Internally Displaced Person) settlements increasing the population density of the town, youth employment opportunities in Maai Mahiu have continued to dwindle. [Based on data from the Ministry of Youth and the District Development Office of Naivasha.] In addition to the lack of jobs for youth, the opportunities for positive extracurricular activities are practically non-existent.
- Educational workshops on health, media, fine arts, financial literacy, poultry farming, and social entrepreneurship
- Soccer teams with over 90 players
- 3 talent shows per year, with an average of over 200 youth participating in each show, showcasing their talents in music, dance, poetry, modeling, and more.
- Volunteer program to encourage community engagement and improve job skills
- A dance team
- ICT (information and communication technology) and computer training lessons
- Catching the Spirit, a youth society in Canada, whom our CTC youth correspond with through letters, monthly Skype meetings, and partnering Ubuntu Days
- Point Youth Media
- Connecting Voices of Inspiration (COVIT - from Kibera)